Thunderstorms: Six months access
Micro course - 20 mins. FREE with our subscription packages.
Suitable for anyone interested in aviation weather.
This micro course is a great introduction to thunderstorms, and a good reminder to those operational pilots about the care needed around these marvels of nature.
We examine the following;
- The various types of thunderstorms, including Airmass and Frontal thunderstorms.
- Lightning and thunder. We will take a look at the excessive temperatures produced by lightning and the subsequent explosive results on the air.
- Flight Hazards in and around thunderstorms - especially turbulence and vertical drafts.
- Taking care in and around thunderstorms.
- Formation of thunderstorms, from the Cumulus (or building) stage, into the Mature stage and finally the Dissipating stage.
- Hail and the incredible noise that these storms can have on flight crew operations.
- Tornadoes and their relationship to thunderstorms
- Some recommendations by an aircraft manufacturer when operating in and around thunderstorms.
You can even test your own knowledge with our short 2 minute quiz.
If you are thinking of becoming a pilot, a student pilot or an operational line pilot, this course is for you.
Here is the course outline:
2. Check your knowledge
Take our quick 2 minute quiz to check your knowledge of thunderstorms.